Downsizing & Decluttering
If you’re ready to move or think you might want to downsize in the not-too-distant future, take a deep breath and start planning.
It’s a much bigger task than you’ll ever imagine, partly because the process entails far more than just deciding which possessions to keep and which to toss.
Most people acquire things over a lifetime — one decade, year, month or day at a time. Through the years, possessions from clothes to decorative arts can accumulate: Flexible Flyer sleds tucked away in the basement crawl space; bridesmaid’s or flower girl dresses stored in closets; Valentines, birthday cards and other personal correspondence stashed in night table drawers.
Sometimes choosing to use a professional might be the right choice for you. It will take away the stress and that overwhelming feeling of the task at hand. A professional senior moving service will…start with you in mind…
Start with Planning Before Your Move
- Plan, schedule and coordinate your move.
- Create a plan of action and a schedule that is realistic and comfortable.
- Create space planning for your new home.
- Organize personal belongs into four categories – S.O.R.T. – Sell-Offer-Retain-Toss
- Protect valuable wills, trusts and insurance.
- Preserve your family heirlooms, photos and videos.
- Schedule and oversee packing and moving.
- Assist in purchasing new items/furnitutre for your new home.
During your Move
- resolve any issues that arise.
- Set-up your new home so that you are comfortable.
- Ensure the correct furniture placement at your new home.
- Organize by unpacking and placing everything in its place.
- Remove boxes and packing supplies.
- Make beds, hang pictures, reconnect electronics and set clocks.
After your Move
- Assist your realtor to prepare your former residence for sale.
- Assemble and supervise contractors.
- Coordinate any remodeling/renovations/repairs.